Wednesday, April 15, 2009


This photo has made a comeback with me. This photo is called either The Dancer or Lori. It was shot January 29, 1977 in her basement. (It looks like it was shot yesterday). I used one bulb in a cheap reflector (the clamp type). I backlit her (I had SOME idea what back light was). A year later, I had some people tell me to turn it horizontally, so it looked like she was flying. I still don’t know about that one.

This was a situation where the darkroom improved the photo. I printed the photo down (darker than it was exposed) and I dodged her face, you can probably tell. I tried to improve the dodge in Photoshop, but I couldn’t. The original was fine.

Could you get a similar look digitally? Yes. You could probably duplicate this scene very easily. See above. In Photoshop use Curves, or Levels, make the density darker, add a little contrast and dodge the face.

What really makes this photo is the look on her face. She was not a professional model, but she projected a great look. Great mouth. Sometimes you just get lucky. After looking at the contact sheet, there are at least 3 more that need to be revisited.

Camera- Canon FTb
Film- Ilford HP4 I thought I pushed it to ASA 800, but there is no record of that, so probably ASA 400.
SS- 1/30 I might have used a tripod, but I don’t remember. If I didn’t, I can’t believe how sharp it is.
f- 2.8
Lens- 50mm
Paper- probably a grade 3 contrast

The equipment used was very simple. You don’t always need something complicated.

KT

No comments:

Post a Comment